Handy Packing Tips for Self-Storage
At Little Coach Mini Storage, we can help you make the most of your unit. Here is a guide for packing your items in the most efficient manner possible. Located in Stony Plain, we are always happy to help you with your storage needs. Call us today.
- If you plan to use your space frequently, do not “over-pack” as it can make it more difficult to access or find things. Often a larger space may be much more convenient than a smaller one packed to capacity.
- Plan ahead. Any items that will be accessed frequently should be placed in the front of your storage area. Allow for walkways.
- Completely fill each box, always placing the heavier items on the bottom and the lighter items on the top.
- Try to keep uniform box sizes as they are much easier to stack this way.
- Label all boxes for easy identification.
- Leave a small space between the wall and your items to allow for ventilation.
- Pack your boxes and other items as close together as possible to avoid moisture accumulating between them.
- Always use a high quality lock, preferably a disc lock for your unit.
- Always keep an inventory list of your stored items and keep it in a safe place that is off-site.
- List the contents of your boxes on all four sides and be sure to seal them completely using masking tape or glued paper tape.
- Concrete floors in any storage facility may become cold and damp. For this reason, always place your storage items on 2″ x 4″ boards or pallets to guard against damage due to dampness.
- Sofas and loveseats can be stored on end to save floor space. Be sure to cover these items in plastic, and place a waterproof cover on the bottom end. Cushions should be wrapped in plastic and placed on top.
- Cover stuffed furniture with dust covers.
- If you stand mattresses on end, be sure to prop them up to prevent them from falling over and damaging other items close by.